Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Beauty is Bought by Judgement of the Eye

"Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye" Shakespeare


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-barbara-franklin-cardigan



Knitters struggle with body image in the same way that virtually all women in our culture do. When I work with them on custom fit projects I find myself feeling sad that they can't be kinder to themselves. They use derogatory descriptive terms about themselves and argue against fitting suggestions because they are trying to hide the parts of their bodies that they hate.

Whether a garment flatters or not is in the eye of the observer. No one can tell you what exact hem length, or neckline shape is most flattering for your body. That’s your choice, however if you don't make peace with your body you won't be able to figure it out either. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-barbara-franklin-cardigan


Here are my rules:
  • Ignore sizes and measurements.
  • Assess proportions and shapes unemotionally.
  • Accept that clothing can make those shapes look different.
  • Find something you do like about yourself.
  • Stop comparing yourself to other women.  



The sweater I'm wearing was customized to fit me. If you look at the schematic from my drafting program you will notice I don't have much of a waistline. I have very short arms. My armhole depth is shorter than the average. Did you notice any of those things before I pointed them out? Probably not and other people won't notice how you differ either.

Knitting garments that make you look and feel wonderful is all about accepting the shape you have, and then selecting patterns and custom fitting them to your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment