Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Knitting and Alzheimers


I think the main reason I'm enjoying working on Robin Hunter Designs so much is the ability to pursue my creative expression. I have so many ideas that I will never be able to produce them all. I dream designs, ideas pop into my head when I'm on the treadmill or walking outside doing errands. I keep pads of paper everywhere so I can make notes for myself as the ideas bubble up. I know that this focus is very good for me.

I discovered that research is proving me right and that the benefits of creative work even improves the lives of Alzheimer patients. These benefits include; positive emotional responses, reduced agitation, greater social interaction, improved cognitive processes, functional improvements, greater physical strength and balance, improved mood and attention span, reduced stress (caregivers and receivers alike) and improved quality of life. You can read more about the research here on the Alzheimer's blog.


1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting what you say about knitting and alzheimers. I'm a great believer that knitting is good for our general health and well being. I know it's helped me fight depression and give me sense of purpose.

    ReplyDelete